22nd February 2009
I won’t be able to watch the Oscars tonight (not that I usually do watch them) since I will be at a friend’s 50th birthday party, but I am interested to see who the winners will be. While the Academy Awards are very political, they do sometimes recognize the best films and the best actors. I haven’t seen all of the films nominated, but I have seen enough to have my own opinions. Without further ado, here is my list of who I think should win (not who will win).
Best Motion Picture of the Year
- Slumdog Millionaire (2008; dir. Danny Boyle). This is my clear winner. While also enjoyed The Reader and thought the others were good, Slumdog Millionaire was by far the best in my books. I find that it is also quite thought provoking in regards to destiny both from Hindu perspectives on karma and Muslin ideas of determinism and freedom. “It is written.”
Best Performance by an Actor in a Leading Role
- Mickey Rourke for The Wrestler (2008). I am not sure Rourke will win, but I thought his portrayal was brilliant. I wouldn’t be surprised if Frank Langella wins for Frost/Nixon (2008).
Best Performance by an Actress in a Leading Role
- Kate Winslet for The Reader (2008). Winslet inhabited the role and I really hope she wins, though Angelina Jolie was surprisingly good for Changeling (2008). That being said, Meryl Streep may win for Doubt (2008).
Best Performance by an Actor in a Supporting Role
- Heath Ledger for The Dark Knight (2008). I thought Ledger did an amazing performance as the Joker and deserves to be recognized. I was surprised to see Robert Downey Jr. get nominated for Tropic Thunder (2008), primarily because comedies usually get short shrift at the Oscars. Downey’s portrayal was hilarious, however.
Best Performance by an Actress in a Supporting Role
- I am not sure who should win this one, though Marisa Tomei did a great job in The Wrestler (2008).
Best Achievement in Directing
- Danny Boyle for Slumdog Millionaire (2008). I think Boyle is a great director and it would be great if he won his first Oscar for this amazing film.
Best Achievement in Cinematography
- Anthony Dod Mantle for Slumdog Millionaire (2008). A beutiful film.
So those are my picks. What are yours?