30th November 2006
The TV Land cable network has put together a list of the 100 greatest catchphrases in television. There will be a countdown special, “The 100 Greatest TV Quotes & Catch Phrases,” over five days starting December 11.
You can see the whole list here. Here are some of my favourites:
- “I know nothing!” (Sgt. Schultz, “Hogan’s Heroes”)
- “Jane, you ignorant sl*t” (Dan Aykroyd to Jane Curtin, “Saturday Night Live”)
- “No soup for you!” (The Soup Nazi, “Seinfeld”)
- “Resistance is futile” (Picard as Borg, “Star Trek: The Next Generation”)
- “Silly rabbit, Trix are for kids” (Trix cereal ad) (For some reason I actually said this to my kids the other day and they thought I was nuts)
- “Space, the final frontier . . .” (Capt. Kirk, “Star Trek”)
- “We are two wild and crazy guys!” (Steve Martin and Dan Aykroyd as Czech playboys, “Saturday Night Live”)
- “You look mahvelous!” (Billy Crystal as Fernando, “Saturday Night Live”)
One phrase that really ought to be on the list is, IMHO, “Eat my shorts” (Bart Simpson).
(HT Bits & Pieces)