15th November 2005
Brandon Wason listed me with this “meme” in his “Five Things” post, and so I as a responsible blogger I will follow suit and do likewise (somewhat tongue-in-cheek).
(I’m embarrassed to admit that I didn’t know what a “meme” was in blogosphere lingo before getting “tagged.” According to Wikipedia, one definition of a meme is a “self-replicating piece of information that uses a human host to distribute copies of itself.” I get it now! This blog is like a chain-letter blog. Hmm… perhaps I should modify it so it is also a get rich scheme!? “Five People” who will send me copious amounts of money… )
Ten Years Ago
Ten years ago my wife and I were living in a cockroach-infested one-bedroom apartment in downtown Toronto (and loving it). I was working on my doctoral coursework at the University of Toronto and my social work wife was working in child protection and was pregnant with our first child. It was also around this time that I got into cooking East Indian food and curries. This reacted with my wife’s morning sickness and pretty much put her off Indian food ever since! So now if I want East Indian food I go for lunch with my brothers!
Five Years Ago
Five years ago I was in my third year of teaching biblical studies at Taylor University College. I was also the father of two daughters and my wife was pregnant with my son. It was actually a pretty lousy year — I was swamped with new course prep, administrative responsibilities, my wife was pregnant with two small kids at home, and my father was dying of cancer. Gee… now I’m depressed… thanks a lot Brandon!)
One Year Ago
One year ago I was still at Taylor, still teaching, still married, and was the father of three kids (my son was born a week after my father’s funeral in 2001).
Five yummy things
- Diet Coke
- Coke C2
- Coke Zero
- Coca Cola
- Lime Coke (did I mention I like Coke?)
Five songs I know by heart
- Theme song to animated Spiderman from the 1970s (“Spiderman, Spiderman, friendly neighbourhood Spiderman…”)
- Jingle Bells (both traditional and the Hall and Oates, “Jingle Bells Rock”)
- Numerous U2 songs
- Numerous Peter Gabriel songs
- Numerous Dire Straits songs
Five things I would do with a lot of money
- Buy books (I’m thinking I would start with complete sets of Discoveries in the Judaean Desert, Gottingen LXX Series, among others)
- Buy new computers (a top of the line Mac G5 and a decked out Dell PC) and miscellaneous techie stuff.
- Buy a Triumph TR3/GT6/Spitfire or the like and rebuild it with (or without) my kids (I had totally rebuilt a ’79 Triumph Spitfire in my younger and more foolish days).
- Do something for my family like travel the world or buy them new winter coats.
- In order to assuage my guilt for purchasing the above items, I use the remainder to stop world poverty.
Five places I would escape to
- Anywhere warm (c’mon, I live in balmy Edmonton!)
- Israel (I know it may not be much of an escape considering the polical unrest, but I would love to return to Israel)
- Museums of the world that have ANE stuff!
- Greece and Turkey and other NT places (I would love to return)
- Did I mention anywhere warm?
Five things I would never wear
Here I figure I can pretty much reproduce Brandon’s list — though I wasn’t sure if some items would be disqualified if I had wore them in the past!
- a ballerina outfit
a beret(I was a boy scout — of course I wore a beret! A “Green Beret” no less!)
- a sumo-wrestler’s loin cloth
- a man’s purse (isn’t this more of an accessory?)
Five favourite TV shows
- The Simpsons
- Fear Factor (I kinow it is a dumb show… I just think it is funny to watch people choke down gross food)
- Family Guy (I guess, though I haven’t watched it yet this fall. I actually have trouble identifying anything as favourite after The Simpsons).
- 24? (It sucked me in last season, but I don’t even know if it has even started yet this year)
- ________ (Whatever is on “peasant vision” some weekday nights between 8:30 pm and 10 pm after the kids are in bed and I am flaking out)
Five favourite films (I had to add this one — not necessarily in order)
- Magnolia (1999)
- Lawrence of Arabia (1962)
- Lord of the Rings Trilogy (2001, 02, 03)
- The Godfather Trilogy (1972, 1974, 1990)
- (I have a very difficult time adding anything after these four since there would be numerous contenders)
Five things I enjoy doing
- Playing (whether with my kids, squash, etc.)
- Reading and researching
- Viewing films
- “Playing on the computer” (i.e., learning new programs, doing graphic design, web design, playing around with video editing, blogging, etc.)
Five favorite toys
- My computers
- ? (I really need to get a lot of money so I can buy some of things mentioned above)
Five people who get this “meme” (in alphabetical order)
- Joe Cathey (I told you, Joe, I had you on my list!)
- Phil Harland
- Christopher Heard
- Michael Pahl
- Ken Ristau